The Lorimer Project is finished, and we're so excited to show you the reveal. And what's more, the project was recently ...
Category: Design Projects
The original bedroom did not function well. It was trying to play too many roles– bedroom, closet, office, and library– all at once. Books from the large shelving unit were piling up on the desk. The desk was crowding the bed and making it difficult to access the en-suite bathroom. The dresser and bed were nestled in so tight, there was no room for a second nightstand and the dresser drawers couldn’t be opened fully.
Our main priority was to pare down the room to its essential role: bedroom. We relocated the books and desk to another part of the house (and my clients actually undertook a massive book donation drive!). We moved the bed to the long wall opposite the windows, which suited the room’s dimensions much better. This change allowed us to upgrade from a double to a queen bed and to give each person a dedicated nightstand. We installed swing-arm sconces from Ralph Lauren, which provide ample light yet leave the nightstands clear.Josephine Bed from Restoration Hardware because my clients loved its French country style and graceful oversized wings. We then reupholstered the bed with Robert Allen’s Shields Tavern fabric in Federal Blue.
We chose a classic Thibaut grasscloth to give the walls texture and depth. This clean, neutral wall treatment balances all the bold patterns elsewhere in the room. We also added crown molding– a simple and inexpensive change that makes a world of difference. It gives the room a more traditional feel and creates a nice finished edge for the grasscloth.
We replaced my client’s old paper accordion blinds with off-white wood blinds and softened the window frame with a custom blue and white valance and curtains. The rectilinear ticking stripe from Robert Allen is a nice counterpoint to the rounded patterns on the bed and carpet.
The Firmdale Project is complete! This master bedroom makeover in Boston has come a long way. Check out the introduction...